OCAA CONTINUES PREPARATIONS FOR RETURN TO PLAY IN 2021-22
Story originally posted on June 2, 2021 at https://www.ocaa.com/sports/general/2021-22/releases/06022021ocaartp
TORONTO – Guided by a board-endorsed return to sport plan, the Ontario Colleges Athletic Association (OCAA) continues to work towards a safe return to sanctioned competition in 2021-22. The OCAA remains optimistic that it will be able to return to activity implementing measured sport formats, prioritizing the health and safety of participants.
Many unknowns will continue to influence the path towards the 2021-22 season, so it remains prudent that the OCAA and its members maintain flexibility within all plans for the upcoming season. Key elements of the plans at this stage include:
- Compliance with public health orders
- Guided by Provincial Sport Organization Return to Play regulations
- Later start dates for all sports to allow more preparation time for the teams
- Modified league and tournament structures, playoff and championships formats to ensure compliance with public health orders and PSO regulations
- Reduced schedules with a focus on regional play where possible thereby limiting travel and overnights
- Recognition of potential member constraints and their need to independently make decisions to their own unique contexts
Prioritizing the health and safety of all participants is the primary objective as plans are being developed towards restoring the provision of positive student-athlete experiences in 2021-22. Any OCAA programs being delivered this season will be compliant with all public health orders and will be guided by the PSO regulations in place.
More information will be made available as plans for 2021-22 continue to progress.
– OCAA –
ABOUT ONTARIO COLLEGES ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
For over 50 years, the Ontario Colleges Athletic Association has been a dedicated leader in amateur athletics through the provision of quality varsity and recreational athletic opportunities at the collegiate level.
For additional information please contact:
Marketing and Communications
Ontario Colleges Athletic Association