Draw and bracket announced for 2022 U SPORTS Men’s Soccer championship presented by RBC
The following post from November 7, 2022 is courtesy of USPORTS https://usports.ca/en/championships/soccer/m/news/2022/11/4216754971/msoc-seeding-20221106.
TORONTO – U SPORTS announced the seedings and bracket for the 2022 U SPORTS Men’s Soccer Championship presented by RBC, to be hosted by Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, B.C. The tournament gets underway on Thursday, Nov. 10 and concludes the following Sunday, Nov. 13.
The eight participating teams, listed in order of seedings, are as follows:
- #1, Cape Breton Capers, AUS champions (10-0-2 regular season, 2-0 playoffs)
- #2, Montréal Carabins, RSEQ champions (9-1-2, 2-0)
- #3, UBC Thunderbirds, Canada West champions (9-3-3, 2-0-1)
- #4, McMaster Marauders, OUA champions (8-3-1, 3-0)
- #5, Thompson Rivers WolfPack, Hosts (7-3-5, 0-1)
- #6, Toronto Metropolitan Bold, OUA finalists (9-3-0, 2-1)
- #7, StFX X-Men, AUS finalists (7-3-2, 2-1)
- #8, UQTR Patriotes, RSEQ finalists (7-3-2, 1-1)
In men’s soccer, the four conference champions are seeded in positions one through four, based on their final ranking of the year, after the conference titles are determined. The remaining four teams are then placed in the bracket to avoid intraconference matchups in the first round, pairs of similar matchups (e.g. OUA champion vs. CW finalist and CW champion vs. OUA finalists), and the host team from playing the top seed in the first round.
The entire tournament is set for Hillside Stadium on the TRU campus in Kamloops. All four quarterfinals will be played on Thursday, November 10, with the following schedule (all times Pacific):
- 11 a.m. StFX vs. Montreal
- 1:30 p.m. Toronto Metropolitan vs. UBC
- 5 p.m. McMaster at Thompson Rivers
- 7:30 p.m. UQTR vs. Cape Breton
Game Day 2 is set for Friday, November 11, and will see consolation games at 11:15 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., with championship semifinals to follow at 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
The lone game on Saturday, November 12, will be the 5th place game, set for 1:30 p.m. A regional high school showcase game will follow at 4 p.m. The bronze-medal and championship games will be held on Sunday, November 13, at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., respectively.
Tickets for the event are on sale at gowolfpack.ca/usportsmsoc.
All 11 games of the championship will be streamed on CBC Gem (English) and USPORTS.ca (French).